Thursday, December 6, 2007

Talking to the Butter Man

A trip to the grocery store is not always my idea of a great moment in the day. Where is the adventure? Well, there is the time I left my cart for a moment to walk up an aisle to get something, and when I returned it was gone. I searched the entire store, even scouting out other people's carts, but in the end I never found it. I had to start all over. I guess that was an adventure.

This evening Melodee and I went to County Market. I still call it Cub Foods. I went to prove that chivalry is not dead, and besides that the first snow of the season was due in while we would be shopping. I wanted to come out of the store and experience the new fallen snow. Wow, that almost sounds poetic.

While we were shopping we were jousting back and forth in conversation and I mentioned that in these "unemployment days" I have developed some imaginary friends to talk with and sometimes we even go places together. What happened next could have qualified for commitment if it were not for such a benevolent wife of 32 years.

I was parked with the shopping cart in front of the butter section while Melodee was picking out her favorite flavors of yogurt a few feet in front of me. That's when it happened. I heard a voice saying, "Excuse me, Sir". I thought someone was behind me wanting to get to the butter, but when I turned to look over my left shoulder there was no one there. Strange! Within moments I heard the same voice and the same words. When I turned to look over my right shoulder this time, there was no one there. I was starting to feel a little like Samuel and wondered if I should find some guy named Eli in the store to understand what was happening.

At about this time I realized there was a man behind the butter shelves and he was talking to me. You know, a little like the guy on the orange juice ads. He wanted me to tell him which shelf had the sign for Prairie Farms butter, and so I told him there were actually two shelves with that signage. We spoke a few more words never realizing that by this time Melodee was watching me talk to the butter shelves.

I wonder what people think and what we look like when the Spirit of God is talking to us?

2 comments:

ArrowJ said...

I would have paid money to see that. "Butter, Parkay!"

fluffybug said...

hahahahahahahahaha! You make me bust out laughing, then a few moments later I am amening.